    SubjectRe: 2.2.0 wishlist
    On Fri, 14 Jun 1996, Marek Michalkiewicz wrote:
    [...]
    > > Impossible. DMA *needs* contiguous memory, and how you allocate
    >
    > I know. But perhaps it would be possible to change the way memory
    > is allocated so that it tries to minimize fragmentation. I am not
    > an expert here, so please tell me if it totally doesn't make sense,
    > but here are a few ideas (unless it is already done this way):

    Perhaps we need a defrag memory function for use with GPF_DMA, that
    pages out adjacent pages, and then allocates them, glueing them together
    to produce a bigger area. Perhaps this should be done over time (at a
    low priority) so that bigger pages are continually produced. I suspect
    that getting a large (96k) DMAable piece of memory on a moderately loaded
    box after a few weeks would be next to nil, that's a bad thing IMHO.

    > Marek

    Bryn
    --
    PGP key pass phrase forgotten, \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
    again :( | initiated.
    | blank, apart from this text ;-)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.021 / U:59.732 seconds]