SubjectRe: SVGA kernel chipset drivers. (yes, again)
On Wed, 12 Jun 1996, Jon Tombs wrote:

> Kevin M Bealer said:
> >
> > On Tue, 11 Jun 1996, John Meacham wrote:
> >
> > > On Tue, 11 Jun 1996, Jon Tombs wrote:
> >
> > Check legalities first. It may be illegal to do this. I don't know that
> > you can link "windows" code to other apps w/o legal ramifications -- esp.
> > since win95 was supposed to be this big gaming thing.
>
> I would be very surprised if it could be illegal, this isn't even microsoft
> code, but generally it is written by your video card vendor. I've never seen
> any shrink wrapped licences on video card drivers. Besides do you think Wine
> is illegal because it loads Microsoft dll.

Illegal or not, this sounds like a PITA. I wouldn't think it
would be worth it. Most cards have enough XFree source out there anyway,
and for the others (Matrox et. al.), well there's not much we can do if
getting the card specs requires an NDA. Not many Linux users will have
one of those anyway, because XFree86 has the same problem with them and
also doesn't support them because of it. As far as support goes, the GGI
has the same basic philosophy as the XFree project.

Jon Taylor = <taylorj@gaia.ecs.csus.edu> | <http://gaia.ecs.csus.edu/~taylorj>
Moderation is for monks." - Lazarus Long

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.057 / U:0.188 seconds]