    SubjectRe: SVGA kernel chipset drivers. (yes, again)
    Date
    Matty said:

    > > This is another example of what happens when amatuers post to
    > > linux-kernel.... :-)
    >
    > :) Well I joined to see what I could learn from the "experts" - so I
    > don't mind being shot down in flames for making stupid suggestions :)
    >
    > > If you make the routines VESA complaint, then they can't take advantage
    > > of any of the card-specific accelerated features. This means that
    > > performance of the X server will go *down* as a result.
    >
    > That's right, but what I'm thinking of, in more detail, is that VESA
    > support should be easier to write, hence it can get into the kernel
    > faster. Also, it will support the most cards, initially. Not
    > everyone has the same video card! Once this is going, interested ppl can
    > then write the card-specific stuff that takes advantage of accellerated
    > features of a particular chipset.
    > I guess one way of doing this is writing the VESA functions, but the
    > actual routines called are compiler macros, so we have (for example)

    - But the VESA support on many cards is buggy at best (mine needs a TSR in
    dos to work.

    - Few cards have true VESA 2.0 code that you use in a 32 bit protected mode
    operating system like Linux.

    - If you are going to try and use an existing standard, try the Windows NT
    drivers, they are the only 32 bit drivers that you can demand from your
    card vendor.

    --
    Jon. <jon@gte.esi.us.es, http://www.esi.us.es/~jon>

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:2.441 / U:0.036 seconds]