    SubjectRe: Problem: how to identify source code points for latency profiling
    On Sun, 9 Jun 1996, Ingo Molnar wrote:

    > i will use the IP pointer instead of __FILE__ and __LINE__ then, as a
    > global identifier for source code points. It's more robust anyways.
    > about transforming IP values (code addresses) into symbols later:
    > i guess line info is lost or hard to recover. I can do function name
    > matching, based on the symbol map [like readprofile], but this isnt enough
    > for identifying cli()-s and sti()-s in most cases :((
    > so this looks like trouble :( IP values are not human readable enough

    Why don't you do both, that way you get the file/line numbers, and the
    function names. You can then sift the output, and can proberbly get the
    best of both methods.

    > -- mingo
    PGP key pass phrase forgotten, \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
    again :( | initiated.
    / This space is intentionally left
    | blank, apart from this text ;-)

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.016 / U:2.656 seconds]