    SubjectRe: packages and the kernel (long, sorry...)
    On Fri, 31 May 1996, Michel LESPINASSE wrote:

    > Basically I would like to be able to type something like "setpackage
    > libc-5.3.18" before my make install or my tar xvzopf, and the kernel
    > would remember for me that any new files it creates are part of this
    > package. This would allow for a much more generalistic solution.

    IMHO you are forgetting that UNIX is a multiuser multiprocess system
    and then not all the files that you creates have to belong to the
    package, they can belong to other sesion.

    I think that this is a user-related question, not a kernel-related
    problem.

    > The other way would be to modify a file system so that he's able to
    > update this package database himself. Probably this would require a bit
    > more code in the kernel, but on the other hand it should be faster,
    > because this information would be stored directly with the filesystem
    > information. It shouldn't be so big as it seems first, because this file
    > system would only have to add package information in the filesystem (just
    > as currently it stores acces rights and the like), and all the
    > intelligent tools we want to have to handle packages would be implemented
    > as scripts running in userspace anyway. I fact, I really prefer this
    > second solution, I think there wouldn't be *so much* to add to get it to
    > work.

    I think that this solution has two problems:
    - you have to add a field to one inode
    - What type have this field ....

    Bye, Juan.

    PS. Pardon for my poor English.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.029 / U:0.008 seconds]