    SubjectRe: MM bug
    > You can simply crash the system by issuing "grep any_string /dev/zero".
    > As the lines in /dev/zero have infinite length, grep tries to allocate still more
    > memory for its line buffer until the memory is exhausted. But no out of memory
    > message appear and the system gets frozen (interrupts work, but normal processes

    Yes, my system crashes too.

    Is this a kernel or a grep problem?
    (i'm running gnu_grep-2.0 and pre-2.0.4)

    If it is a kernel problem, let me add some details:
    I have a 50Mo swap partition, and before the crash, i
    heared a big swap activity, and suddenly, my system hung.

    PS: an other thing quite strange: just after this crash has happened,
    i reboot my system, and then i got some "insufficient memory" error
    messages. I thought i was because the swap was full before the crash
    and hadn't been cleaned. Is possible or am i totally crazy?
    After a second reboot, things happened normally.

    Regis "HPReg" DUCHESNE, Engineering Student at ***** ******** *****
    E-Mail >
    W3 >

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.017 / U:25.160 seconds]