SubjectRe: The end of booting as we know it
Darren J Moffat wrote:

> On Fri, 24 May 1996, Warner Losh wrote:
>
> First let me say I had this idea about 2 years ago after learning about
> Recoverable Virtual Memory and doing persistant databases. I eventually
> came to the conclusion that it was a great idea provided only one OS was
> involved.
>
> > The Tadpole Sparc notebooks would dump all of the state machine to
> > either a special file or swap (can't recall which) and then just load
> > that machine image. It would, I believe, tell each device to
> > shutdown. On reload it would reinialize everything. I'm pretty sure

Hello. I don't claim to know anything about what your talking about, but I do
know that my brand new laptop has this feature. BIOS reserves X amount of
space on the hard disk (in its own partition) for saving the contents of
memory to the disk when the time comes to save some power.

The exact words from the manual... "...saving all data to the hard drive &
turning off the system."

It's a pheonix technologies BIOS chip.

I can't tell you if it works very well because I deleted that partition before
I knew what its purpose was!! :(

-Brian Kimball

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.044 / U:0.340 seconds]