    SubjectRe: Relativity [was incorrectly: Quantum Mechanics]
    On Sat, 25 May 1996, Steve VanDevender wrote:

    > Light doesn't speed up or slow down when it passes through a
    > gravitational field. It may gain energy or lose energy or change
    > direction, but it doesn't change speed. You can arrange to emit two
    > photons in different directions from the same point and have them both
    > pass through another point at different times by having one pass through
    > a region of greater spacetime curvature, but that doesn't mean one
    > photon traveled faster than the other -- it means one traveled farther
    > than the other. Both traveled at the same speed, and all observers will
    > measure the same speed for both photons.

    Based on the fact that a light beam exhibits properties of both waves and
    particles, it is clearly obvious that a particle is accelerated or
    decelerated by the affects of gravity.

    > You need to read and understand a good book on relativity theory. I
    > suggest _Spacetime Physics_ by Taylor and Wheeler for an introduction.
    > If you are then able to understand _Gravitation_ by Misner, Thorne, and
    > Wheeler you will be doing better than I am.

    Most of what I'm talking about was presented in a Physics presentation
    here some years a go by a visiting professor, I don't recall the name. I
    also jsut recently saw a show on the Discovery channel last week and a
    part of it was discussion this exact phenomenom, theoretically. I think
    the show was Beyond 2000 or some such thing, anyway they were talking
    about the possiblity of time travel. THis thoery about the speed of
    light *not* being constant was the basis for the time travel discussion.

    I wish I could take credit for such creative thinking, but, alas I'm only
    restating some things I've heard over the years from other theorists.

    Mike Wangsmo, Graduate Student wanger@fubar.cs.montana.edu
    Dept. of M&IE, MSU http://www.cs.montana.edu/~wanger
    Bozeman, MT 59717 (406) 586-0690
    "May the Force be with you, always"

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.018 / U:3.300 seconds]