    SubjectRe: [OFFTOPIC] Re: Quantum Mechanics
    On Sat, 25 May 1996, Ingo Molnar wrote:

    > Nonsense. What do you say about the following construction:
    > - I mirror a plain lightbeam to the Moon and back to some target. In those
    > 20 seconds or so, i can step to the target .... i'm faster than light???

    Only if the distance you cover is greater than that of the light beam.

    > If you say that you can be faster than light >on the same track<, then you
    > >are< faster than light. It means nothing if you reach a point in space
    > faster than a lightbeam.

    I think that the construction I gave was misinterpreted. The distance
    accross the base of the cone *is* the shortest distance, ie shorter than
    going around the base. THe cone simply is a topological representation
    ofthe gravatational, with the height of the cone representative of the
    strength of the gravity. Therefore since cutting directly accross the
    base of the cone, the light beam is affected by the massive field of
    force which has the affect of slowing the velocity of the particle
    properites of the light beam. The object traveling around the
    circumference of the cone base is essentially unaffected by the gravity
    field and therefore is able to maintain a constant velocity.

    The gist of all of that is that if the force field is sufficently stong
    enough and the object (maybe a curved light beam???) can reach the same
    point accross the cone base in a shorter periord of time, however has
    covered more distance. That translate into an object exceeding the speed
    of light and a relative setting. This doesn't violate the theory of
    relativity since no claim about the object exceeding the speed of light
    in the same reference frame is made. A corralary to this theory could
    also be postulated as having the velocity of a light beam accelerated by
    a *sling shot* type of action rounding a gravitational field. By doing
    this, the so called fixed speed of light can also be increased and I
    thing with a little bit of work, it could be shown to be unbounded.

    Just a few thoughts.
    Mike Wangsmo, Graduate Student
    Dept. of M&IE, MSU
    Bozeman, MT 59717 (406) 586-0690
    "May the Force be with you, always"

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.018 / U:31.620 seconds]