SubjectRe: Crap: CONFIG_RANDOM and TCP FILTER
On Sat, 25 May 1996, Lauri Tischler wrote:

> Anno Domini 24 May 96 at 10:58, William E. Roadcap wrote:
> > Although I see your point, and agree to a _certain_ extent, there are many of
> > us who want to see Linux become a mainstream success. Although I hate to
> > make a comparison to DOS and Windows, those OS's (can we call them that?)
> -- maybe we can call 'em 'bios extensions' -- :)
>
> > became such successes partly because they fit the desktop so well.
>
> No, thats not true. They became successes because they have USER
> APPLICATIONS available. The lack of applications is a _major_
> problem before Linux can become a mainstream success.

And why do you think those user apps where written for those OSs.
Because they fit the "users'" desktop....

Don't forget, when DOS became popular it was at a time when Unix could
not be run on a desktop machine (not enough resources).

Anyway, fitting the desktop is an important part of the equation but not
the only part, I concede.

> I can just see myself going to the secretarial pool and say
> 'Hey girls, over the weekend we have formatted your disks and replaced
> MS Windows and Word and Excel with this new wonderfull Linux stuff
> and Latex, go for it'.

Yea, Yea, do it! Ha! Ha! ;-)
__
William E. Roadcap mailto:roadcapw@cfw.com
TITUS Software ftp://titus.cfw.com/pub
Waynesboro, Va (USA) http://www.cfw.com/~roadcapw

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.046 / U:0.204 seconds]