    SubjectRe: Dummy driver broken in pre-2.0.5

    On Sun, 19 May 1996, Alan Cox wrote:
    > The lance driver should add an open routine that returns -ENODEV. I've
    > backed your change out for the next diffs for Linus.

    No, I think Thomas is correct that we do need an open() routine, and we
    might as well make the NULL case an error. For example, the dummy driver
    actually _had_ an open routine, but it was enabled only when compiled as
    a module. That's against the ideas of modules - I much prefer it if all
    the drivers are the same regardless of whether they are compiled as
    modules or not (that way there are no surprises).

    pre-2.0.6 should have the dummy driver working again, as well as the
    alias setup. Addign an open routine for alias makes sense anyway, in case
    we ever want to have that as a module in which case the open routine is
    needed for reference counting.

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.018 / U:26.516 seconds]