    SubjectRe: Crap: CONFIG_RANDOM and TCP FILTER
    Anno Domini 18 May 96 at 9:46, Robert L Krawitz wrote:

    > The point I'm trying to make here is that there are a lot of people
    > who simply don't have that much memory and who for one reason or
    > another can't or aren't willing to upgrade. 16 KB by itself isn't
    > much (except on the most memory starved system), but a few 16K chunks
    > starts to add up.
    >
    > Definitions of "useful" vary. Some people just need to edit text and
    > maybe run TeX on occasion; some people want to run an ISP on a Linux
    > box.

    My reason for putting any bytesaving efforts on _very_ low priority
    is mainly because I see Linux as a 'server OS' not so much a 'desktop
    OS'. Boxes dedicated to server use usually have adecuate resources
    available. This also explains why I dont see the usefullness of
    'kerneld'.

    This does not mean that I embraice bloat, but I'm sure that there are
    many more pressing problems in the kernel that need fixing first.

    There has been few patches and messages about more detailed 'config',
    drop off everything you dont need or use, you need to know what
    you're doing but I think this is _a very good idea_.

    Who ever said that life is fair... :)
    Cheers..
    --
    Lauri Tischler, Network Admin Tel: +358-0-47846331
    EFORE Oy Fax: +358-0-47846500

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.019 / U:128.432 seconds]