    SubjectRe: ideas
    > and perhaps with a few "greps").  With C++ you really have no clue what the
    > function is doing without recursivly looking at a bunch of class definitions
    > and header files to determine which operators are overloaded and what the

    I disagree that C is inherently easier to understand than C++.
    There are many ways to use C++ without overloading operators and
    I know quite a few (including myself) that use almost every feature
    in the language EXCEPT overloaded ops except in the most trivial
    cases. I think String assignment operators are very logical, however
    I dont think overloading stuff like -> is wise in a large project.

    > I have had to port a large C++ project (printout was about a foot thick) to a
    > different platform with many design changes and it wasn't at all fun. I
    > resorted to looking at the disassembly of functions in a debugger to find out
    > what the program was actually doing and get a clue as to where to look for
    > problems. This is of course only one example (and a DOS game no less,
    > "FPS:Football '94") but I think many people don't understand what can happen
    > to a "clean" C++ design when people in the real world have to make things

    That depends on your conception of a clean C++ design. As I've said,
    many experience C++ designers have gotten over the novelty of overloading
    an operator at every chance.

    It is possible to do a 1 to 1 mapping of any C project to C++ using
    correct inlining and obtain an OOP design without the full penalty
    of things such as virtual functions. Polymorphism is nice but I
    disagree with the 'experts' which say it is 1 of the required points
    for true Object Orientation (Booch if I'm not mistaken)
    I think that is 1 point I like about Java, it is much cleaner
    in several areas, but is still a subset of C++. The problem is, some
    programmers need the language to restrict them and many of those
    are ones who move to Modula-2 and Java, deserting C++ because of
    complexity that no-one forced them to use.

    -Melvin S.

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.018 / U:8.212 seconds]