    Subjectkerneld module unloading timing
    >Some people (including me) complained about kerneld removing modules just
    >after the last use. The problem is that kerneld remove the module after the
    >time specified by the 'delay' parameter counting from _loading_ and not
    >after the last use. Of course, it is so because kerneld has no idea, when
    >the module was used after loading it.
    >
    >Couldn't we just send the appropriate message to kerneld when the filesystem
    >is being mounted or /dev/fd0 opened ? The only thing we would have to do
    >will be to add message sending in the places where kerneld is called to load
    >the module. For example, we would have to change super.c from:
    >
    >[rest of message deleted]

    For best effect, kerneld should also have a user-tunable timeout for
    unloading such that a module is unloaded if and only if (a) kerneld has
    not heard anything from the module during that time period and (b) the
    module's usage count has been 0 whenever kerneld checked during that
    period. That way unused modules could stay around for (say) 5 minutes
    before being unloaded unless they are used before then.

    -- Aaron Ucko (ucko@vax1.rockhurst.edu; finger for PGP public key) | httyp!
    "That's right," he said. "We're philosophers. We think, therefore we am."
    -- Terry Pratchett, _Small Gods_ | Geek Code 3.1 [for explanation, finger
    hayden@mankato.msus.edu]: GCS/M/S/C d- s: a18 C++(+++)>++++ UL++>++++ P++

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.019 / U:119.560 seconds]