SubjectRe: Linux Logo prototype.
Date
|On Thu, 9 May 1996, Dale Scheetz wrote:
|>
|> I was unable to find a globe that displayed more than the Americas. As a
|> result I resorted to a map of the world instead.

[...deleted]

|Then we can do a larger version with some more detail (maybe leaning
|against a globe of the world, but I don't think we really want to give
|any "macho penguin" image here about Atlas or anything). That more
|detailed version can spank billy-boy to tears for all I care, or play
|ice-hockey with the FreeBSD demon. But the simple, single penguin would
|be the logo, and the others would just be that cuddly penguin being used
|as an actor in some tableau.

OK, so we have a pudgy penguin sitting on top of the World satiated and
bean-bag like. My original Atlas style suggestion couldn't be made
anatomically correct, a penguin's flippers, vestiges of wings, are much
too short; if for no other reason this makes it a bad idea :-)

Leonard Zuboff's idea of the Earth with a 3-D LINUX banner encircling
it is germane as he pointed out: Linux's global development and support.
Alternately, the penguin could be wearing a sash with LINUX on it.

Since a spherical depiction of the Earth limits what land masses would
be shown, a planar view (projection) might be better. The Hammer equal
area or Robinson projections produce a bowl like image of the World
showing it in its entirety. Also, this would provide a platform on
which the penguin sits.

I'm using the words Globe, Earth, and World interchangeably, that
vehicle on which we are all passengers.

National Geographic Atlas of the World.

Enjoy the weekend.
--
Louis-ljl-{LLaBash@eniac.ac.siue.edu | lou@minuet.siue.edu}

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.028 / U:0.040 seconds]