SubjectRe: Linux logo
On Mon, 6 May 1996, =?iso-8859-1?Q?Johan Myr=E9en?= wrote:

> > > hmm. i don't think FreeBSD is the "adversary" here, but Windows 95
> > > certainly is. how about a penguin smashing in a window or something?
> > how about the penguin knocking down and standing on the old Win 3.1 splash
>
> I don't think the Logo should attack *any* operating system, not BSD nor
> Windows. As somebody said already: If Linux is so great, why are we attacking
> BSD? And if Windows is such a pile of crap, why would we even care to mention
> it? Let Linux stand out on its own merits. Action speaks louder than words.

quite right. and besides, Linux really isn't for everyone. for some
people it's just plain over their head. Win95 makes an excellent
flystrip for these folks. can you imagine how badly digested usenet and
the lists would be if we had to deal with all these folks?

"i used chsh to change my shell to /dos/command.com and now i can't login!"

as an eternal post comes to mind... win95 (while i have yet to try it or
want to) serves a useful purpose- it keeps away a huge portion of
maddening questions from people who take the attitude "i just paid $2000
for my computer, and i'll be damned if i'm going to read how to use it."

Linux is going to do well no matter what. it's an excellent OS that
just keeps impressing me. but it really and truly isn't for everyone.
those who should come around will. all it takes is one call to the
micro$oft tech line with a real question.

jeff
---
Why Linux? source code. POSIX. tcpip. job control. support from the authors.
drivers for most hardware. because one terminal or process is never enough.
forget the other O/Ss, i use Linux- the choice of a GNU generation.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:1.643 / U:0.220 seconds]