    SubjectRe: 1.3.85 and SLIP/PPP Slow (still)
    On Tue, 9 Apr 1996, Wayne Roberts wrote:

    > > I have major problems with 1.3.85.
    > > CSLIP won't work at all.. It dials up fine, but there is no response
    > start dip with -v for verbosity and tail /var/log/messages

    I've done that, but it seems to works just fine, until I try do access
    anything outside my computer.

    > I hope these people reporting poor PPP performace are doing the
    > equivalent of the USR's ATI6 command, which shows line quality
    > impairments. Line quality can vary from call to call.

    I've seen this slowdown for quite a while, and I dial up a lot. And it
    is very unlikely I've had line noise, since I'm dialling locally on
    campus. And I have been dialling up for 2 years, and I have been having
    problems just lately. No, it is not a phone-line problem. I know this
    for sure, since SLIP works *great* in 1.3.68, but is pretty bad in 1.3.85
    and this being tested the same day.

    ----
    Ole Gjerde
    Homepage: http://www.winternet.com/~gjerde
    Email: gjerde@plains.nodak.edu, gjerde@winternet.com, jander@fix.bbs.no
    Studying Computer Science at North Dakota State University
    "Unix _IS_ user friendly... It's just selective about who it's friends are."
    -- Nem Schlecht

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.019 / U:35.312 seconds]