    SubjectPCMCIA Token Ring and kernels 1.3.78 onward
    Upon hearing that pcmcia-cs-2.8.9 supported PCMCIA Token Ring cards, a
    co-worker asked me to help him upgrade his IBM Thinkpad to a more recent
    version of Linux (something beyond 1.2.13) so that he could plug it in to
    our Token Ring network at work.

    After installing the preliminary stuff -- new gcc, C libraries, etc. --
    and FINALLY getting the right version of the modules stuff -- I won major
    idiot points for that blunder -- I tried installing the latest version of
    the PCMCIA stuff, 2.8.10, and a recent version of the kernel, 1.3.79.
    Everything compiled fine, and everything loaded properly except for the
    PCMCIA token ring stuff, which failed because trdev_init() was undefined.
    After looking through the PCMCIA source and the kernel source, I found
    that trdev_init(), in drivers/net/ibmtr.c, is mentioned in comments and as
    a prototype, but never defined anywhere in the kernel source. I backed up
    to kernel 1.3.72, found trdev_init() defined there, and then moved forward
    in the revision history, from 1.3.72 to 1.3.83, and found that trdev_init()
    disappeared in 1.3.78.

    Was this intentional -- ie. some sort of in-progress code reworking -- or
    was it purely inadvertent?

    Christopher A. Smith
    Arlington VA *

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.017 / U:5.780 seconds]