SubjectNape Pipes Feedback (WAS: Re: Linux-1.3.81)
Marty Leisner wrote:
> > However, I don't feel strongly enough about this to not even consider
> > changing it back: I could do that. I'm not 100% sure I want to, though,
> > so I'd like some feedback from some more people. What do people think?
> > Especailly people who actually _use_ named pipes..
> >
> > Linus

I'm working on a large software system that uses a lot of IPC, mainly
named pipes. It's going to run on Solaris. I was devleoping it there,
but the development machine is resource starved, so after a *very* short
porting job, I am hiding out in my PC, resource fat, developing away.
(Yay for Linux!).

This is a non-technical reason, of course, but it's pretty serious
for *me*. We need to try to keep up with newer OS "features", such
as those in Solaris, so we can continue to be an easy alternative for
those who are looking for cheaper places to work on code. OTOH, we
also should provide the same welcome to older OS-based developers, too.

Maybe this should be a kernel config option.

BTW: Message queues seem to be broken lately. It may be something I did,
but I am beginning to suspect the kernel. I'll test with old kernels and
see if that fixes it. If it does, I'll post to the list.

--
Andrew C. Esh mailto:andrew_esh@cnt.com
Computer Network Technology andrewes@mtn.org (finger for PGP key)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.104 / U:0.916 seconds]