SubjectRe: dropping kerneld...
On Sun, 28 Apr 1996, Alan Clucas wrote:

> What about for those things that are hardly ever used in a production
> server, like the floppy drive, but it would be annoying to have to
> recomplile the kernel for :)
>
> > Production server which is fixed in configuration and stuffed into a
> > closet, works best with monolithic kernel.
>
> But this isn't how many people use their linux machines.... is it?
>
> > Any lurking need to use kerneld is easily cured by getting enough
> > memory.

I've not messed with kerneld yet...but for my laptop with limited RAM, I
can see a value to it. For my servers, which all have 32-64mb RAM, why
bother with kerneld to save even a few hundred kb RAM. There's not a
heck of alot on a server that could be moularized and left unloaded. The
floppy code is about all that comes to mind. I suppose lp and serial
could also...assuming they can be modules.

Jon Lewis | Mime attachments are OK
jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net | But please ask before sending
http://inorganic5.fdt.net | unsolicited huge files.
________Finger jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net for PGP public key_______

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.084 / U:0.336 seconds]