SubjectRe: dropping kerneld...
On Sun, 28 Apr 1996, Alan Clucas wrote:

> What about for those things that are hardly ever used in a production
> server, like the floppy drive, but it would be annoying to have to
> recomplile the kernel for :)
> > Production server which is fixed in configuration and stuffed into a
> > closet, works best with monolithic kernel.
> But this isn't how many people use their linux machines.... is it?
> > Any lurking need to use kerneld is easily cured by getting enough
> > memory.

I've not messed with kerneld yet...but for my laptop with limited RAM, I
can see a value to it. For my servers, which all have 32-64mb RAM, why
bother with kerneld to save even a few hundred kb RAM. There's not a
heck of alot on a server that could be moularized and left unloaded. The
floppy code is about all that comes to mind. I suppose lp and serial
could also...assuming they can be modules.

Jon Lewis | Mime attachments are OK | But please ask before sending | unsolicited huge files.
________Finger for PGP public key_______