    SubjectRe: dropping kerneld...
    On Sun, 28 Apr 1996, Alan Clucas wrote:

    > What about for those things that are hardly ever used in a production
    > server, like the floppy drive, but it would be annoying to have to
    > recomplile the kernel for :)
    > > Production server which is fixed in configuration and stuffed into a
    > > closet, works best with monolithic kernel.
    > But this isn't how many people use their linux machines.... is it?
    > > Any lurking need to use kerneld is easily cured by getting enough
    > > memory.

    I've not messed with kerneld yet...but for my laptop with limited RAM, I
    can see a value to it. For my servers, which all have 32-64mb RAM, why
    bother with kerneld to save even a few hundred kb RAM. There's not a
    heck of alot on a server that could be moularized and left unloaded. The
    floppy code is about all that comes to mind. I suppose lp and serial
    could also...assuming they can be modules.

    Jon Lewis | Mime attachments are OK | But please ask before sending | unsolicited huge files.
    ________Finger for PGP public key_______

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.028 / U:19.576 seconds]