    SubjectRe: As 2.0 looms
    Date
    > > Yes. And the 'Do you want to be offered ALPHA test drivers' needs to be
    > > moved to the top of ./drivers/net/Config.in so that it can be applied to
    > > *all* drivers, and not just ether drivers as it is at present.
    > Seconded!

    Done and sent to Linus. Put the drivers in alphabetical order by section,
    made "10 and 100Mbit ethernet" as well as "Radio Interfaces" sections.

    > There's also an EtherExpressPro driver which still has problems last time I
    > looked -- the transmitter can get stuck if the receiver has too much work
    > to do (setting the card to promiscuous mode should do it), and it fails to
    > properly unregister itself when loaded as a module.

    I'll glance at that, probably a 30 second fix in with other bits to sort
    its unregister. The crash is someone elses problem ;)

    > The network and standard serial drivers also carry their own IRQ-probe code
    > around with them, I'd really like to see that cleared up before 2.0 too.
    > (Does _anybody_ out there use the serial driver's "wild interrupt"
    > feature? And why is that thing in the serial driver in the first place?
    > Should be a kernel command line option instead...)

    I use it to save setting parameters specifically. Id not be keen to change
    the irq probes until after 2.0 - when it should be done. IRQ probing is
    a delicate art.

    As to printk. Does a preprocessor guru want to hack the defines so a printk
    without a KERN_xxx define at the start breaks during the compile.

    Alan

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.019 / U:0.124 seconds]