SubjectRe: 1.3.95 is not stable
Date
> On 26 Apr 1996, Steven L Baur wrote:
> >
> > I was able to duplicate this crash (with the same 1 bit error in the
> > same place) in a variety of motherboard settings with the common
> > element being enabled external caching. I'm now running (and have
> > about 4 hours of stable uptime) with external caching disabled.
> >
> > Can these crashes be explained by bad external cache?
> _Anything_ can be explained by bad external caches ;-)
> [...]
> I'd obviously love for this problem too to be explained by hardware, but
> please make as sure of it as you humanly can first. The fact that the
> kernel stays up for you with the external cache disabled might be due to
> a timing thing too - maybe a network code bug just happens to trigger
> under certain circumstances, and disabling the cache changes the timings
> enough that the circumstances won't happen.

Just as an aside, I was getting lots of SIG11's and other weird behavior when
compiling.

Turned out to be that the CPU fan burned out and my P90 was overheating. The
internal cache was flaking out, and other weirdness.

Replaced the fan, and bingo. Stable system.

-Dan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.171 / U:0.476 seconds]