SubjectRe: KernelDB
On Apr 24,  1:18pm, Jonathan Layes wrote:
> Subject: Re: KernelDB
> when i first read this, my first reaction was "no way in hell." however,
> as long as there is no likely chance of running such a script accidently,
> it seems like a good idea. while i'd be happy to send along config files
> from home, i doubt my employer would be impressed if the whole world
> knew the configuration of our various machines. i'm sure the same could
> be said with most people using linux in a commercial setting. my
> employer is very good in letting me contribute some of work hours to
> kernel development, etc, and i'd hate to ruin that.
>
> ie. please don't make it a 'default option' in the Makefile to email
> config files :) jonathan

This would clearly be a broken assumption. Not every system is setup for
email. My system, in particular, has no support for incoming or outgoing email.
I have ripped all references to it and it's support programs out of my
system--I don't use distributions. An attempt to send mail on my system would
end with abysmal failure. I would hate to have to patch every kernel to remove
this functionality or to provide a fake email transport binary to make it
happy. I'd be glad to contribute my configuration, but I'd prefer to do it
myself.

Keep up the good work. The kernel db is a worthy project.

Cheers,
David

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.024 / U:0.100 seconds]