    SubjectRe: As 2.0 looms
    Alan Cox:
    > There are millions of these, core dumping etc. Its basically I think a
    > unix feature. At least we dont have compiled in passwords like GCOS3
    > had.

    I believe core dumping is OK (the dumpable flag is cleared if the program
    is unreadable). I know of at least one program (deslogin) which has
    encryption key compiled in (the binary is mode 711). I shouldn't have
    to link it statically to be safe... Another solution, which doesn't
    need kernel support, would be to have two versions of one which
    ignores LD_xxx and one which is like the current You decide
    which one you want to use at link time (default is to ignore LD_xxx -
    it's not necessary except for testing new shared libraries). I think
    HP-UX does something like this. If we had this, we wouldn't have the
    infamous telnet environment security hole...

    > Use gcc 2.7.x - 2.5.8 miscompiles stuff in the current kernel.

    Perhaps 2.5.8 would work with less optimizations? I already know about
    -fno-strength-reduce - any other flags necessary to generate correct code?

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.018 / U:2.388 seconds]