    Subjectautoconfiguring kernel ?
    Excuse me if this is not the proper place to post this. I had some ideas
    for possible future development, kernel configuration, etc. Perhaps they
    have already been discussed. If so, again please excuse me.

    1. How difficult would it be to have a self-configuring kernel as an
    option? What I imagine is that one runs a program to probe the existing
    hardware, load the appropriate drivers, configure the appropriate
    modules, etc., give the developer a report of the proposed configuration
    with options to change things, and then make an appropriate kernel. It
    may be, e.g. that certain configurations of drivers work better together
    than others. At present, each system administrator has to try this or
    that to tune his or her system. This should always be one of the
    options, but some people might like to get the benefit of others
    experience with auto-configuring kernels.

    2. An extension of the above would be autoconfiguring installations and
    upgrades. Again, only as an option. One of the problems with other
    attempts to automate is that they take control away from the
    systems-administrator. I don't think that this should not be done
    without very good reasons.

    I would be interested in follow-ups to these ideas.

    Thanks,

    -sen

    | Sheldon E. Newhouse | mail: newhouse@math.msu.edu |
    | Mathematics Department | www: http://www.mth.msu.edu/~sen |
    | Michigan State University | telephone: 517-355-9684 |
    | E. Lansing, MI 48824-1027 USA | FAX: 517-432-1562 |

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.019 / U:88.380 seconds]