    Subjectloop/mount - was: Re: /proc/misc has bad mode wrote:

    >Yes, /etc/mtab has
    > /tmp/fdimage /mnt msdos rw,loop=3D/dev/loop0,blocksize=3D1024 0 0
    > /dev/cdrom /cd iso9660 ro,noexec,nosuid,nodev,unhide 0 0
    >where /proc/mounts has
    > /dev/loop0 /mnt msdos rw 0 0
    > /dev/cdrom /cd iso9660 ro,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
    >It follows that /proc/mounts cannot yet replace /etc/mtab -
    >some mount options are invisible in /proc/mounts.

    Well, I never use "unhide"

    Of course the `unhide' was just an example. There are oodles of
    mount options (for msdos: check, conv, uid, gid, umask, fat, blocksize,
    debug, and even dots, nodots, dotsOK, showexec, sys_immutable -
    maybe I forget some, and similarly for other file system types).
    One wants to see these [sometimes it is important to know whether
    this CDROM was mounted with conv=auto or conv=binary, or whether
    this ext2 fs was mounted with bsdgroups or sysvgroups].
    So, /proc/mounts must have all mount options, not just the booleans
    in mountflags. This means that /etc/mtab remains necessary for the
    time being.

    I patched my loopback device and my mount binary
    so that closing or unmounting /dev/loop? automatically
    disassociates the device from the file.

    No patch required, that is the default behaviour of the current mount.

    IMHO it is a mistake for /dev/loop? to remember its association
    to a file after it's closed.

    If you do
    mount file /dir -o loop
    umount file [or: umount /dir]
    then afterwards the loop device that was used implicitly
    is no longer in use.

    If you explicitly associate /dev/loop3 with some file, then
    you also have to explicitly disassociate it again
    (probably both times using losetup). This use is discouraged,
    but is left for backward compatibility.

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.017 / U:42.484 seconds]