SubjectRe: ICMP REDIRECTs
On 16 Apr 1996 inr-linux-kernel@ms2.inr.ac.ru wrote:

> Madhusudana Rao (madhur@sasi.ernet.IN) wrote:

> : wants to forward a frame on the same interface and disable the ICMP
> : REDIRECTs ?
>
> It is not OK. You should not disable redirects in this situation.
> But if you really desire to spend your network bandwidth and
> routers CPU cycles, you may tell
> #define CONFIG_IP_NO_ICMP_REDIRECT
> in ip_forward.c

For some of us, it's worth the extra router CPU cycles for the
increased security. Especially in our situation where whatever issued the
ICMP redirect (most likely a terminal server) is less likely to have
current information than our router, which does the real routing via real
routing protocols. This situation is always temporary -- sooner or later
the Linux box will get the correct route via our normal routing protocols.

JK

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.032 / U:0.144 seconds]