    SubjectRe: Some Serious 1.3.90 Issues, Again.
    > On Thu, 18 Apr 1996, Andrew E. Mileski wrote:
    > > Why do people expect consistency with _EXPERIMENTAL_ kernels?
    > > It is akin to expecting politicians to keep election promises.
    >
    > NO!
    >
    > You _should_ run the experimental kernels, as much as possible. And
    > you _should_ expect it to work correctly and consistently. The experimental
    > doesn't mean "may break - don't test". It means "may break - complain to us
    > if it does, but don't expect us to feel sorry for you".

    I _NEVER_ wrote anything remotely like "may break - don't test it",
    so please don't attribute that statement to me.

    I clearly stated that Linux kernels are not consistent, but especially
    the experimental ones.

    Just because kernel version X works, doesn't mean X + N will work.
    Surely you don't dispute the logic of this?

    At the very most I implied, "may break - don't use on a heart/lung
    machine" (this is meant to be slightly humourous _TOO_).

    > So Simon is doing exactly the right thing.. Don't flame people for
    > reporting bugs.

    I _NEVER_ wrote that Simon was doing "a bad thing". I wrote that
    it did not make sense to expect a bug-free kernel, in an experimental
    series of kernels, on the sole basis of the previous kernel working.

    Linus, that was _FAR_ from being a flame. In fact, I attempted to
    soften it with humour. I didn't have a stupid smiley, because
    I thought it was obvious. Seems you have honest politicians in
    Finland :-) (That was a joke _ALSO_ in case anyone missed it).

    An intentional public berating to humiliate someone is a flame,
    which is closer to what _YOU_ just wrote IMHO.

    > As to why Simon sees the problems, I don't know yet. Duh.
    >
    > Linus

    I have faith it will be solved. Maybe not in the next version, but
    eventually. But I don't think even you can GUARANTEE every bug won't
    come back, as the kernel is quite complex with subtle relationships
    that even you, myself, and thousands of others sometimes overlook.

    -- Andrew E. Mileski --
    mailto:aem@ott.hookup.net
    http://www.redhat.com/~aem/

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.023 / U:89.804 seconds]