SubjectRe: Shadow passwords and .89

On Wed, 17 Apr 1996, Roberto Lumbreras Pastor wrote:

> It happen only once in each tty[1-6][0-9]. The message I get is
>
> Welcome to Linux 1.3.88 (tty2)
>
> fuego login: root
> No utmp entry. You must exec "login" from the lowest level "sh"

Same here, but the worst is that when fsck finds an error in my
filesystem instead of giving me the login prompt with /sbin/login while
the partition is still mounted read-only, it goes right ahead and mounts
the partition (read-write) and continues booting. If you try running
/sbin/login you get the error every time, but if you run just plain login
it doesn't happen. I think if we modify our startup files to simply say
login that it should work, but I haven't tried it yet.

Pardon my stupidity, but I have another question about Shadow. The users
on my system can't change their passwords, they get the message:

Cannot change ID to root.

I've tried everything, the only thing that works is giving read access to
the shadow file, but that defeats the purpose. What am I doing wrong?

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.039 / U:0.724 seconds]