SubjectGeneric Keyboard Library?

I saw a passing reference to a generic keyboard library that someone
on this list is developing. Unfortunately, the reference was in a
quote, without a citation for the original author.

Whoever you are, please contact me (erik@sgi.com). Among other things,
I'm the author of the X Keyboard (XKB) Extension, which is an X
Consortium Standard as of X11R6.1. XKB adds a _lot_ of new keyboard
capabilities, among them:
o A lot more control over how modifiers affect the symbols to be used
o A lot more control over the effects of pressing keys (or combinations
of keys).
o Programmable keyboard indicators (LEDs)
o Detectable keyboard bells with an optional name (allows different
sounds for different events)
o Geometry -- a description of the physical appearance of the keyboard,
including the positions of all keys and indicators.

We should coordinate so that we don't end up with unnecessary differences
in capabilities or behavior. If our implementations manage to stay
similar enough, you can probably piggyback on some of the existing
and upcoming documentation for XKB. You might also be able to use some
of the XKB keyboard configuration information.

-- Erik

| Erik Fortune | Ladies are requested not to have |
| Silicon Graphics Globalization R&D | children in the bar. |
| ++1 415 933 1922 erik@sgi.com | -- Sign in Norwegian Cocktail Lounge |
All opinions are my own, so leave my employer out of this

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.040 / U:1.052 seconds]