SubjectRe: Interesting Problem w/ CDs
On Wed, 17 Apr 1996, Steve Huston wrote:

> OK, this is probebly my problem right here:
> Canon Innova P100 (AMI), 16MB ram, PCI, 2 on-board IDE controllers, IDE
> CD-ROM and 1.2GB Drive.
>
> Now, what happens is that the kernel detects that the CD drive is there
> (I believe), and tries to read it. It's plugged into the second IDE
> controller slot, so I assumed it would be /dev/hdc, but it reports that
> /dev/hdc is not a block device. If I try /dev/hdb, then I get (Roughly
> from memory):
> mount:: iso9660 not supported by kernel.
> mount:: [Check /proc/filesystems for supported file systems]

the /dev entries are wrong, master on the second ide is hdc (that's what
I have here), run the script in /usr/src/linux/drivers/block/MAKEDEV.ide
(chmod +x on it first).

> Interesting, because /proc/filesystems DOES say iso9660, and I compiled
> all IDE/ATAPI CD-ROM stuff in. This has happened with 1.2.13, 1.3.18
> (Current kernel), 1.3.81 and .85.

It's a very ambiguois (sp?) error message ....

> Next problem: In kernel versions 1.3.81 and .85, both my internet
> provider (A 486, I don't know the details) and me have had the problem of
> running 'top', most of the display (Minus the actual processes)
> appearing, then getting a 'floating point exception'. Same occurs if you
> do a ps -aux.

get the latest version of the procps package, from
tsx-11.mit.edu:/pub/linux/BETA/procps/procps-0.99a.tar.gz (I think, you
get the idea), it's not BETA, but it's in there ...

> Last problem of the day: I think this is a proprietary thing, but maybe
> I'm wrong. This computer came with a 'Sound Expression' board, which is
> a 16bit SB Emulator, 28.8 fax modem, game port, etc all wrapped into
> one. It is normally under COM4 under Win 95 when I boot that, however
> /dev/cua3 does nothing. My old Practical Peripherals on COM1 works fine,
> but this thing doesn't appear to exist. It doen'st show up on the list
> of com ports at boot up, so I'm guessing Win95 loads some driver
> somewhere in there to configure it from nothing.

Hmm, well it's either a DSP, and propritry (sp?), or a combined sound
card and modem, and you should be able to get it to work. Although the
hardware may need a magic incantation to inialise it. You may find that
first booting dos (windows95), and then useing loadlin may allow you to
use it (after letting the windows driver initalise it).
Bryn
--
PGP key pass phrase forgotten, \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
again :( | initiated.
| blank, apart from this text ;-)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.071 / U:0.264 seconds]