SubjectRe: Linux-1.3.88 - Code Freeze
Linus Torvalds wrote:
Hello Linuxers,
I think this code freeze is good, but please, try to look at the serial
drivers in the present kernel.
I installed linux 1.3.87 and 1.3.88 and could not connect to my school
machine not by slip, ppp or evn kermit. Earlier kernels worked for me.
Please, Help !!! I going crazy not been able to surf the net.

- Chris Ariyo

> Ok, I'm trying it again. A code freeze of Linux for the upcoming 2.0
> release. The previous freeze thawed up a lot, and then we had the ppp
> problems that only now seem to have been resolved, so that I can freeze
> again...
>
> Anyway, Linux-1.3.88 is now available on ftp.funet.fi and
> ftp.cs.helsinki.fi, and other mirrors will pick them up within hours
> (admittedly not sunsite, but others have been discussed on this list).
>
> 1.3.88 fixes a few silly problems with 87 (the missing ACK thing and the
> send side timer problems), and I have a few responses saying it's finally
> ok. I hope it's ok for everybody now..
>
> This kernel also has a few more spelling fixes, and a iso9660 filesystem
> bugfix.
>
> The code-freeze means that I once more enter "bug-fixes only" mode, and
> don't even try to send me new features (I'd hate to fall for them ;-).
> There are obviously things we could do better (write-side NFS caching
> etc), but believe it or not, there is life after 2.0 too..
>
> Ok, send me reports, and hopefully we have the worst network problems
> behind us now..
>
> Linus

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:3.232 / U:0.028 seconds]