SubjectRe: hardware problems
Date
> While hardware problems are not specifically the fault of the linux
> kernel, people that run other OSes on the same hardware without problems
> will continue to lay blame on Linux as the culprit. Since Linux's

To start with we should spot and report "Performance may be unreliable"
for the following cases

SMP and any B stepping pentium (assorted bugs)
Possibly 100Mhz B step uniprocessor machines (Intel Errata 19 -
100MHz REP MOVS Speed Path)

Trouble is most crap machines are faulty elsewhere.

> some price to it. Perhaps, a concerted effort to figure out how flakey
> hardware misbehaves, and some technique for working around these issues
> should be considered, if such work is not already underway.

Its a sad testimony both the poor quality of some other OS's (not all I've
seen reports of things like the Linux strange cache bugs with Solaris2
as well) and of PC vendor quality control that this all shows up.

Alan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.024 / U:0.536 seconds]