SubjectRe: ARP: arp called for own IP address
Date

> This would prevent some ugly scenario I've seen in HP-UX 9.0: Running
> gated, the local interfaces finally timed out and the routes were
> removed. From that moment on there were no more sends and receives.
> You have to walk to the console and add the routes back manually.
> Double-Ugly!

That should have been configurable around.

> What about auto-magically presetting the routing table when a
> interface is configured? I don't know if there are useful hooks for
> that.

And automatically resetting it if you change the address ? I personally
would not like to see anything 'automatically' set to anything. It reduces
flexibility by limiting your options to someone elses assumptions.

Better that a good network configuration tool is produced that will produce
suitable rc files that do the right things than the low level tools make
arbitrary assumptions about what my network configuration looks like.

ARPing for your own address is obviously not a successful thing to do, but
I don't think that having ifconfig create routes is a successful solution.

Terry

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.265 / U:0.044 seconds]