    SubjectRe: Linux-1.3.81
    >I don't like the SunOS (pre-81) behaviour, because some programs _want_
    >to be able to know when the clients have gone away, and returning 1 for
    >select when there are no writers is the "logically" correct thing to do
    >anyway, when you look at what "read()" does.
    >However, I don't feel strongly enough about this to not even consider
    >changing it back: I could do that. I'm not 100% sure I want to, though,
    >so I'd like some feedback from some more people. What do people think?
    >Especailly people who actually _use_ named pipes..

    My opinion, having used SunOS for the past year and a half (a year
    longer than I've used Linux), is that the native Linux code mostly does
    the Right Thing. On SunOS I've often been frustrated by the merging of
    writers in pipes. It's a pity there isn't a neater way to get this

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.017 / U:3.292 seconds]