    SubjectRe: kernel 1.3.67 and terminal
    On Tue, 5 Mar 1996, Kenneth Albanowski wrote:

    > On Thu, 29 Feb 1996, Clay Hopkins wrote:
    > >
    > > Hiya! I've just installed kernel v. 1.3.67 on my machine, and I now get
    > > an error when booting that says my terminal type is unknown. When I do
    > > an echo TERM, I get "linux". Since the type is unknown according to the
    > > kernel, I can't run anything even as simple as vi! Any suggestions or
    > > help would be greatly appreciated.
    > Add "linux" to to "console" entry in your /etc/terminfo file, like this:
    > console|linux|con80x25|dumb:\
    > ^^^^^^

    Sorry for a silly response - but HOW, since terminal required for all
    known editors. Okay, so it's an off-topic,much bally-hoo'd subject
    [Fall/94 I think was when 'linux' console type added].

    This is still a REAL pain for me ('xcept when I remember _BEFORE_
    upgrading kernel). The newest ver. of Linux I have on CD is 1.something
    Slackware (ow).

    Thankfully, I haven't lost a Linux partition since the great grand
    experience with big drives last fall. Kudo: Don't run >500M drives on
    old IDE system. You lose data. Badly.

    Different subject: Hard drives and $#%# distributers!
    PS. Anyone have a solution to drive-size dilemma? It seems I can't get a
    drive smaller than 1G IDE anymore. And EIDE isn't available for my
    computer (ISA 486). [there also seems to be some trouble addressing
    >500M on the IDE host adapter - which was the REAL cause of my data loss].

    I'm currently using an old Adaptec 1542B and SCSI drives, but this is a
    _REAL_ problem!

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.030 / U:0.468 seconds]