    SubjectRe: Linux isn't an operating system
    >> But aside from being unfair (which by itself would not be worth
    >> fussing about), it also tends to split the community and thus
    >> discourage communication and cooperation. When the people who use
    >> what is essentially the GNU system think of themselves as "Linux
    >> users", and not as "GNU users", often they don't see a reason
    >> cooperate with the people who maintain the GNU software. This leads
    >> to version-skew and unnecessary incompatibility.

    > [various people flaming RMS]

    Do we really need this flame-war? As far as I can see, RMS was asking for
    a certain recognition of the amount of GNU stuff on systems running a Linux
    kernel. Personally, I think that's a small price to pay for GCC, emacs,
    GNU make, bash, groff etc. etc.

    Some people might find that too big a price to pay, and think that RMS is
    being pedantic, patronising or a prick. That doesn't make comments along
    the lines of ``RMS is a ...'' at all helpful. Maybe he needs to get a
    life. Big deal. Sometimes I suspect that a lot of people on this list
    need to get a life.

    Ralph, happy owner of a Linux/GNU system, whatever you want to call it.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.022 / U:0.052 seconds]