    SubjectRe: Linux isn't an operating system
    Date
    Richard Stallman (rms@gnu.ai.mit.edu) wrote:
    > I call these collections "Linux-based GNU systems" to help promote
    > unity and cooperation in the whole community. I hope some of you will
    > join me in doing this.

    RMS, I call my Linux System Linux.

    On my System there a great many GNU Tools, a lot of BSD Programs,
    even more MIT stuff, and a lot of Patches from the Linux Users to all of
    them. Thats the way every Linux System looks like. Giving Credits where
    possible is a good thing, but calling my System 'GNU/MIT/BSD/hacker/vendor-x
    Linux' is not practicable. Most of the PPL who use Linux know that their OS
    is based on GNU Tools. Linux is the choice of the GNU generation, dont be
    picky at the name.

    I use Linux for the Kernel and the whole System. If I want to make clear
    what I'm speaking about I use 'Linux Kernel' and 'Linux System'. This is
    practically.

    If I'm speaking about a special Distribution I still use the name 'Linux
    System', as long as I dont need to name the distribution 'Bug X in
    Distribution Y'.

    Greetings
    Bernd

    BTW: RMS, I am missing your support for the Debian Project. Is Debian
    GNU/Linux the FSF Operating System with a Linux Kernel, or will you develop
    a completely new System after you have your own Kernel? A lot of Linux PPL
    put their manpower into that Project to build a usable Linux Distribution
    which will be the FSF's official OS (based on MIT,BSD,Linux,GNU Tools).
    --
    (OO) -- Bernd_Eckenfels@Wittumstrasse13.76646Bruchsal.de --
    ( .. ) ecki@lina.{inka.de,ka.sub.org} http://home.pages.de/~eckes/

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:2.744 / U:0.148 seconds]