SubjectRe: Linux reboot
Date
> (please send the damn things to /dev/null) but WHY don't we just drop out
> of protected mode and execute a poke on F000:FFF0? This is the generally
> accepted method for making a system do a warm boot. Why dink around with
> trying to convince the KB controller to run the reset line low? Just my
> opinion, but this is another instance of the Linux experts trying to
> reinvent the wheel. Why not use the accepted method and save the trouble?

Worth you submitting a patch for it maybe. At the moment we try various
things like the key controller and triple faulting (shutdown cycles). I'm
not aware of the F000:FFF0 one. I am aware of some of the PCI bus
controller ones and the P5/P6 send yourself a reset IPI which we also dont
do.

Alan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.046 / U:0.712 seconds]