SubjectRe: Intelliport driver
	Groan...  I guess this one be mine...

Note: I do NOT work for Computone, I merely have several of ther
products and have debugged some of their software/firmware on SCO UNIX
in the past.

Alan Cox enscribed thusly:

colins@yorkshire.tv.co.uk enscribed thusly:
> > Does anybody know if my "Computone" has a kernel driver ?
> > it says FAB 1-1200 REV.D on the PCB and the EPROMS are labelled
> > IP 3.14 INTELLIPORT .
> >
> > The 62 "D" type external connector box is lost now does anybody
> > have info please.

I'm the one who is supposed to be writing the drivers for the
Computone Intelliport II boards. Computone has provided the boards,
development software, board micro-code, and documentation to get the
job done. Unfortunately, unless they invent a time machine, I have been
absolutely swamped and I'm months behind schedule.

I actually have a Computone Intelliport II 4 Port board, and a
Computone Intelliport II-EX which supports up to 64 ports (I only have
one of the 16 port expansion chasis though). I also have two of the older
Intelliport boards (an 8-Port and a 16-Port), but they are not in service.

Lack of these drivers is the ONLY reason why I still have one SCO UNIX
system left, so I have lots of incentive to get the job done, just insufficient
time. That may be changing very shortly though. My office is becoming
interested in a large number of dial in lines and may support my efforts to
get this driver out the door.

Now for the BAD news. From your description above, it sounds like
what you have is the older Computone Intelliport 8-Port, Intelliport 16-Port,
or AT-Advantage board. I would hate to say there is no hope but I expect
to hear jingle bells in hades first. In talking with Mike Gaul, the chief
scientist at Computone, he told me that they were trying to replace all of
the older Intelliport's with Intelliport-II's. They are not real proud of
that architecture and are no longer supporting it. He did say that if I
really REALLY wanted to do drivers for those cards, after I was done with
the Intelliport-II cards, he would provide me with the software and spec's
to do so under a non-disclosure agreement (and a promise not to laugh).

I have a mini FAQ (sort of) on my web server. It includes
descriptions of the various boards and some pointers over to Computone's
pages. I will try and keep it up to date as things develope (pun alert)...

My web page on the Computone driver is:

http://www.wittsend.com/computone.html

Information on the Intelliport II product from Computone is at:

http://www.computone.com/ip2/ip2.html

> No. we do however have acess to a couple of intelliports sitting on a shelf
> with no docs, drivers vendor info or anything so
> <AOL> Me too </AOL>
> with any info you find.

Alan - take a peek at the board descriptions on my web site and
see what boards you've got. If they are the older boards, then they are
probably not worth the effort. If they are the newer boards, the pointers
over to Computone may lead you to some useful information for getting
manuals and stuff. I can point you over to some of the development
tools they've got laying around over there too. The development software
for the Intelliport II is actually readily available, it just isn't labeled
very clearly. You want the diagnostics / development and testing package
for the Intelliport II that's floating around on their Web site somewhere.
It has the development library sources in it. I can also get out some
copies of some of the hard-copy development documentation as well.

If you need product documentation, you should probably get that
right from Computone. If you need cable pin-outs and wiring, that's
available on their web site.

http://www.computone.com/

> Alan

Mike
--
Michael H. Warfield | (770) 985-6132 | mhw@WittsEnd.com
(The Mad Wizard) | (770) 925-8248 | http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.031 / U:1.744 seconds]