SubjectSCSI somewhat better...

I've got this lovely UMAX scanner which triggers bus aborts for every scan.
This doesn't cause my any trouble with 1.2.13 because I've got an
NCR 53c810 and the 1.2.13 driver doesn't disconnect.

However, 1.3.xx were not particularly safe. For each scan, I'd be warned
"DANGER : abort_connected() called", I'd get a bunch of spewed SCSI error
messages (I've posted them before) and after a scan or three, the system
would hang badly.

Thanks, I think, to Leonard's new reset code, I now appear to be able to
scan more reliably. I'm running 1.3.80 at the moment. I still get SCSI
bus resets and scary scsi debugging spew, but I don't crash as reliably...

Things aren't perfect yet, though. One of the reasons I want to scan
under Linux is that Linux generally doesn't crash; I get tired of
rebooting every 45 minutes when Windoze crashes on me... I just got
an ext2 panic because it couldn't read the an *inode* block after one
error spew. Unfortunately, it scrolled off the screen quickly, and I
can't get a copy. And when ext2 panics, things don't get written to
disk... :-)

If anyone wants copies of error messages I get before the ext2 panic,
please ask me. I don't want to spew the list with them.

michaelkjohnson

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.216 / U:0.012 seconds]