    SubjectRe: Linux-1.3.79
    In message <Pine.LNX.3.91.960328164335.3770C-100000@titus.cfw.com>, "William E.
    Roadcap" writes:
    >The indicator IS there. Read the top of the menu. If an option has
    >pointed brackets <> then it is module capable. That was the best way I
    >could think of to indicate tristates without increasing the line
    >lengths. Some lines are already to long as it is.
    >
    >I don't thing the 'Y' inside brackets is as effective a visual flag as
    >the '*' character.

    Then how can you argue that "< >" is an effective visual flag compared
    to "( )" ? I sense a double standard.

    I don't see why "(Y)" is not an effective visual flag. It's certainly
    highly visible, especially compared to "( )", and is far more intiutive
    compared to "(*)". "*" conveys no information other than "here I am".
    "Y" says "Yes" -- an intuitive answer to the selection of Y, N, or M.

    In fact, I'd like to see Y N M used exclusively, rather than "( )"
    implying "(N)".

    You could make up for lost space by something like this, while at the
    same time making things more obvious:

    (YNM)
    (Y ) This is a compiled-in item, available as a module
    ( N ) This is a not-compiled-in item, available as a module
    ( M) This is an item compiled as a module
    (N -) This is a not-compiled-in item, not available as module
    ( Y-) This is a compiled-in item, not available as a module.

    In fact, if the (YNM) construct could be implemented as a true radio-button
    (with YNM key accellerators) that would be good.

    --Dave

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:2.375 / U:1.044 seconds]