    SubjectRe: strange disk activity
    On Wed, 27 Mar 1996, Stephen Tweedie wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > In article <Pine.LNX.3.91.960327011208.199D-100000@gytha.demon.co.uk>,
    > Bryn Paul Arnold Jones <bpaj@gytha.demon.co.uk> writes:
    >
    > > On Wed, 27 Mar 1996, Ronald Wahl wrote:
    > >> Since 1.3.7x (I suppose since 1.3.77) I notice a access to my scsi-disk
    > >> with the root filesystem every 8-10 seconds. There are no active
    > >> processes. There are no unusual syslog entries.
    > >>
    > >> Any suggestions what the reason can be?
    > >>
    > > Low priority swaping (ie kswapd), anyone agree ?
    >
    > Probably not. kswapd, if it is doing low-priority swapping, activates
    > 4 times a second, not once every few seconds. However, swapping in
    > general could be the cause, if there are background daemons waking up
    > for a quick look at the world every so often.

    Which deamons will do this (look at the top output I mailed recently)?
    Also there is no need to swap because there is enough free memory.

    > Also bear in mind that even reading a file will cause a write in a few
    > seconds time, as the last-access timestamp gets updated on disk.

    There is nothing running every 10 seconds.

    ron

    --
    \ Ronald Wahl --- rwa@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de \
    \ WWW: http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/~row \

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.021 / U:59.864 seconds]