SubjectRe: Linux 1.3.78, Token Ring
From
Dear Andrew, dear Linux gurus,

"Andrew C. Esh" <andrewes@cnt.com> wrote:
[...]
>I just went through this. You probably patched the kernel, and did
>a new make without cleaning up from the old kernel. Specifically, your
>problem is that the files in "/usr/src/linux/include/linux/modules/*.ver"
>are old. They contain definitions for kernel symbols, and they are created
>by a "make dep". The problem is, they are not updated by another "make dep"
>if they already exist, so any new symbols don't get added. This is new in
>the last couple of kernel versions, because of that addition of the
>"_basic_version" macro.
[...]
>you should do this:
>
> "cp .config someplace_safe; make mrproper; cp someplace_safe/.config .;
> make config; make dep; make clean; make your_kernel_target".

[...]

thank you very much for your hint. It did not, however, solve the problem
(in fact, I had done a "make mrproper" before writing my message about
it).

Henrik Storner has been so kind as to provide me with the changes needed
to compile the kernel with the Token Ring driver included, which have been
incorporated into Linux 1.3.79 before I found time to use his hints
on 1.3.78. Linux 1.3.79 compiled out of the box (with TR drivers included).

The work on development of Linux is most impressive. Many thanks
to everyone involved!

Again, many thanks and best wishes,

Ernst
---
ernst.molitor@uni-bonn.de

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.072 / U:0.468 seconds]