SubjectRe: A minor error
On Sat, 23 Mar 1996, Alan Cox wrote:

> > Can't reproduce this. I pressed Alt+F3+F4 on our test server (P75, 32MB
> > RAM, ASUSTeK MB) and nothing happens - it just sits there staring at me
> > (you know what I mean). After, I can still do everything normally. Maybe
> > bad keyboard / KB controller chip? That'd be my best guess on that one.
>
> Can reproduce on an ASUS P54PND dual P90 been like it for a while, I assumed
> banging lots of buttons produces keyboard error messages - is this actually
> a bug ??
>
> Alan

Yes, this is a bug. It seems to happen when the keyboard spews things
too fast for the kernel to handle. Unfortunately, with the more recent
kernels, that means pressing the up and down arrow keys in the shell too
fast gives me keyboard errors. Back down to 1.3.57, and I can hold the
keys down and not get an error, with anything from about .65 to .76
(haven't tried .77 yet, got a job and all) I have to sit and press keys
one at a time. I am a lazy typist and make quite a bit of use of bash's
command history......... With the newer kernels, it's useless, my screen
fills up with Keyboard error and Socket destroy delayed, and I can't see
what I'm doing. (:

Skunky

Jeff W. (Skunk) Schouten | Someday, when all the fighting ends we'll
PFC, USMC (Ret.) | all realize just how stupid the things we
skunky@skunky.atlcom.net | fight about are.
skunky@netcom.com | The Skunk on the Information Superhighway
(770)946-5709 (pager) | Don't beep if it's not important.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.073 / U:0.100 seconds]