    SubjectRe: Kill system call
    >I have a process, which forks off a child.  The child process has a
    >different EUID to the parent. The child sends the parent a signal to
    >check that it is still alive, but the kill system call returns EPERM
    >whereas on all the other unix systems the software is running on the
    >call returns 0.

    That's because Linux uses the wrong logic to check for permission to
    send a signal. The usual Unix logic is that the ruid or euid of the
    sending process must match the ruid (or, in some versions, suid) of the
    receiving process. Linux, I think, requires that the euid of the
    sending process match the ruid or euid of the receiving process.

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.017 / U:48.304 seconds]