SubjectRe: inetd Messages

Andrew C. Esh writes:

> The three answers to this message I saw were not as helpful as I think they
> could have been. I'd rather teach you to fish, than throw you some fluff
> answer, like "Delete some lines out of your inetd.conf".

I figure, I'll stick with your "fishing" format for now.
Fishing tip #1: When you assume such a patronizing tone, make sure you
know what you are talking about.

> In particular, the "nmbd" is a netbios nameserver. It's part of a package
> called "Samba", and is used to deal with drives and printers being shared
> by the Windows for Workgroups, Win95, and Windows NT operating systems. This
> package normally is installed by root, so you should be aware of it. First
> fishing tip: Read the manual page. Do a "man nmbd".
>
> Specifically what we should know about this error message is that the file
> "/usr/sbin/nmbd" does exist, but it's exiting with a non-zero result. This
> means "nmbd" can't run for some reason. Fishing tip number two: Try running
> it from the command line and see if it prints any debug output. Chances are,
> it will display some sort of error message which will tell you what the real
> problem is. My guess is that you don't have support for SMB built into your
> kernel, or some other portion of the Samba package is not doing its job.
>
> If you hadn't intended to run the samba package, then follow the advice of
> the others who posted answers: Remove all references to /usr/sbin/nmbd from
> your /etc/inetd.conf file.

Fishing tip #2: Don't you think that if the person is going to run
Samba, he / she would know what nmbd is? And if he / she is not
going to, than all your teachings about nmbd and Samba are just a
waste of bandwidth? For your information, neither /usr/sbin/nmbd nor
its man page get installed unless one chooses them for the installation.
I did not have either of them on my hard drive yet, the error message
quoted in the original post did show up in the syslog. I understand,
it is not very logical, you did not know about those things and got
confused. But, now, that you know how irrational things can be, you
will think twice before concluding that someone's question is idiotic
and the person did not make his / hers own effort or did not have
enough knowledge to type "man nmbd", won't you?

> Last fishing tip: Install an IRC client, and attach to EFNet. Join the #linux
> channel, and ask questions there. There is a lot of help available there, but one
> caveat: They expect you to have read everything before asking questions.
>
> --
> Andrew C. Esh mailto:andrew_esh@cnt.com
> IRC: DrChandra
> Computer Network Technology andrewes@mtn.org (finger for PGP key)
> 6500 Wedgwood Road 612.550.8000 (main)
> Maple Grove MN 55311 612.550.8229 (direct)
> http://www.cnt.com - CNT Inc. Home Page
> http://www.mtn.org/~andrewes - ACE Home Page

Last fishing tip: One does not improve his own image by showing a
disrespect to those who may not know as much.

Alex Krimkevich

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.043 / U:0.580 seconds]