    SubjectRe: nfsroot anyone?
    Date
    > I'm going to take a look into this ASAP. However, I don't think implemen-
    > ting BOOTP into the kernel (as with 1.3.75) is such a good idea. It blows
    > up the kernel binary for being used just once. This should instead go into

    This is part of a global Linux memory/segment planning problem. There is no
    way to put all the init code into a discardable memory area thrown after
    boot.

    > the bootrom, which then sends the necessary parameters from the BOOTP

    The floppy disk drivers on our campus for example lack a boot rom ;)

    > user process. So, why should we implement BOOTP into the kernel? IMHO, we
    > should discuss this further.

    For non boot rom cases. I hope as bzImage/modules gets further a discardable
    bootp will be practical

    Alan

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.017 / U:1.572 seconds]