SubjectRe: nfsroot anyone?
   From: gero@gkminix.han.de (Gero Kuhlmann)
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 1996 21:58:41 +0100 (MET)

I'm going to take a look into this ASAP. However, I don't think implemen-
ting BOOTP into the kernel (as with 1.3.75) is such a good idea. It blows
up the kernel binary for being used just once. This should instead go into
the bootrom, which then sends the necessary parameters from the BOOTP
handling to the kernel with the appropriate kernel command line parameters.
This also reduces the number of BOOTP requests from one client. Other-
wise, the bootrom sends a request, then the kernel, and finally a BOOTP
user process. So, why should we implement BOOTP into the kernel? IMHO, we
should discuss this further.

Bzzt, wrong answer, on the Sparc for example putting this into the
kernel is the _only_ way to acquire the functionality. We do not have
the option of reblowing our PROM's on SparcStations.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@caip.rutgers.edu