    SubjectRe: Is anyone using EXT FS
    On Thu, 14 Mar 1996 mrodin@imsa.edu wrote:

    > > > Can we get rid of the ext fs?
    > >
    > > We can, but we shouldn't.
    > >
    > > The ext filesystem is useful as a reference, to show where ext2 came
    > > from, and illustrate what to avoid when creating a filesystem.
    > >

    > that is true, but there is a question of whether every academically
    > interesting or useful to kernel programmers should be included in the
    > stable production kernel source.
    > if linux is to be truly successful, there has to be some consideration of
    > what actual users are interested in.
    > and as interesting and useful as the ext fs may be from a programming
    > perspective, the general public does not, in short, care.

    If you don't care, just do not compile it in. The whole fs directory
    makes up for less than 0.05% of the kernel tree, so why no bear with it ?
    Beside, I'm sure it's very interesting for a lot of people...

    Christophe Dupre Universite de Montreal
    Internet: duprec@jsp.umontreal.ca Qc, Canada
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    "Nous ne sommes pas libres de ne pas etre libres, nous sommes obliges de
    l'etre" - Fernando Savater

    -- Geek Code 2.1 --
    GCS d-- H+ s:++ g+ !p au-* a19 w+ v+ C++(+++) UIL++>+++ P+>++ L++
    3- E---- N++ K W- M- V-- Y+ t++ 5++ !j R+ G- tv b++

    #include <disclaimer.h>

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.018 / U:93.220 seconds]